repl chat: Integrated global chat for repl.it
repl chat yey
After making repl mail, I still wasn't satisfied. There was a mailing system now, but no way to chat in real time on repl.it itself. So I decided to make a chat system cool kek.
(yes I love this repl share post format dont judge)
- Log in with repl auth - use repl auth to log in with your repl account @amasad
- Integrated - repl chat pops up right on repl.it! I styled it based on the multiplayer chat so it is a little window on the bottom right. I just tweaked a few things to improve the UI where I saw fit. More on this in Usage Instructions
- Fast - repl chat uses WebSocket to send chat messages in real-time
- Message history - unlike many other chat applications cough cough and somewhat repl multiplayer chat itself cough cough repl chat stores the last 50 messages so you will have context every time you log on
- Create a new bookmark (name it whatever you want)
- In the url section, copy and paste this:
- Now, when you are on repl.it, if you want to add the repl chat window, simply click on the bookmark!
If you really wanted to, you could use the browser client here: https://repl-chat.mreconomical.repl.co but why tho?
DATABASE SOURCE CODE: https://repl.it/@MrEconomical/repl-chat-database-source
How do I make a chat for only me and my friends? In other words, how do I make a private chat after I fork the repl?
This thing is amazing.
Nevermind. I probably will not be able figure it out because i cannot access any blank sourcecode for the database. I am too
lasy unskilled to make my own completely from scratch trying to figure out what the sourcecode would be.
@MrEconomical You should make https://repl-chat-database-source.mreconomical.repl.co containing the source without any logs or data, because that would really help. Great work.
Got that chat working for me. Took a while to figure out which errors where coming from where, and which parts i broke trying to fix other parts.
The main problem was figuring out the key, i set it through the console of the repl-chat (process.env.REPL_CHAT_KEY = "your key here".
I also put a comma where i shouldn't... That confused it and didn't give an error, the messages would not load.
Do you have a chat moderator? Also if you can fork this and make it private for our thing we have to talk about. Sorry I'm so hard to get a hold of. :P
@MrEconomical If you forget to logout of your previous session (and don't close the window), and try to access the page from another PC, there is no way to login and delete your last session. I have tried to visit /login again, but it will not delete the last session. I left myself logged in at work...
I am a teacher of 5 computer science classes and am wondering if it is possible to make a private version of this that i could use with ll my students? also is there a transcript that is made with this in a console?
cool, I mde something like this, but with less css