The Fishing Game (fixed)
Explore your way through the different regions by catching the rarest fish you can. Catch em all to fill up your fishedex!
Hey everyone. I posted this game last year as part of the game jam; I think it was in May. Well, I didn't maintain it and the site I used to store the accounts data went down. I posted on repl.it again recently and I saw that people had been commenting on the fishing game post! I'm really sorry that it had been broken for so long.
Anyway, I think I've fixed it now, by using a new website, jsonbin.io. I really hope this works.
The reason I sorta gave up on the fishing game is that I was a bit annoyed how I got the most community votes but still didn't win any monetary prize. But it's back now! Please please let me know if you find more bugs guys.
Hi!! This my fishing game. Here's a bit of an explanation that you also get ingame:
Welcome to my fishing game! The aim of the game is to reach level 100 as quickly as possible. Catch the rarest fish you can and level up! You can sell your fish in the shop. Rarer fish bring in more gold. You can use this gold to purchase bait, which is needed to catch fish, and rods, which make catching rarer fish easier. Careful, bait gets more expensive as you level up. New types of fish are unlocked as you level up, and at higher levels, it's easier to catch fish. You can also see information about all the fish you've come across in the 'fishedex' in the shop. Catch them all! You might also find some treasure when you're fishing! The game saves your progress at the end of each day, so you can just log in again and pick up where you left off. Good luck! Press enter to continue.
Not gonna lie, it's pretty fun.
I made this game last July. The reason I choose fishing was mainly because it makes plurals easier - the plural of most types of fish is the same as the singular ;) (This doesn't work for anchovies though... or mythical creatures. Oh well). To make it I did have to learn a little about using classes and objects - I find them really useful now though. My coding's definitely developed a bit since I made this (it's a mess), but I can't really be bothered to make the code any neater (I did a tiny bit). I have edited it a bit since I originally made it to make it ready for the game jam. Here are some of the additions (spoiler for past level 100!!) :
- There are new "mythicals" which are extremely rare fantasy creatures, like mermaids. They can only be encountered after level 100. You can't sell them, though the game remembers which ones and how many you've seen. You need the special new moonstone rod.
- The game's harder now, in that the XP needed to level up increases exponentially as you go up the levels. I really should have had that from the beginning, because levelling up was way too quick.
- Some new types of fish!
- Highscore board for how many days it takes to reach level 100. I'm not sure if this was in the original fishing game that I posted in July, but I don't think it was. It's empty currently because the new XP-level scale has made all the previous highscores made by me and my family during testing unfair. Let's see who get's the lowest!
- Rarest fish stat. Within the rarity boundaries like common, uncommon, rare ect, there are varying rarities based on a number. If you catch a fish with the same rarity number as your rarest fish stat, it counts as rarer if it's unlocked at a higher level. Basically, higher level is used to decide rarity in a couple of cases. The point is, I wanted to add something that made the game more orientated to getting the rarest fish - kinda like pokemon. Anyone got the blue whale?
- Changed the rod names from "default, alright, decent, good, great" ect. to "wooden, bamboo, copper, iron, steel" ect, just for added character. The only one that stayed the same was the awesome golden rod ;)
Techgamer, for catching a bug
Mavrick, for helping with the fish rarity colours
cats_ur_cool77, for doing a cool little picture that you can see in the settings inside the game
leon332157, for helping me out with the intial jsonstore
ebest, for helping with account security
jsonbin.io, for providing the place to store the accounts data!
ironblockhd, for helping me to hide the API key
Well that's it. I really hope you guys like it. If there's any bugs let me know, and if you want any improvements, let me know too! Thanks so much for trying it out! (also sorry that it doesn't fit the cash theme. I edited it to make it more appropriate to the cash theme, but it kinda sucked. I prefer the cutesy fishing element)
On a final note, let me know if you encounter all the mythicals! That would be seriously cool!
Edit: don't really care if you don't like that it's in all lower case. I think it looks nicer.
- Input validation for a, b, c at the start of the day, to avoid the "press enter and run up your days" error
- Input validation for logging in or signing up
- More input validation for selling some fish, plus added capability for selling multiple fish at a time (not all fish) and fixing a bug that would've prevented fish with spaces in their name - eg electric eel - to be sold.
- Fixed the printing of high scores so that it's in actually in the correct order, plus accounting for ties.
- Disallowed "-" characters in the username, which would've messed up the accounts file, had it been working anyway.
- Lowered the power of the rods and raised the prices for a more difficult game ... sorry if the highscores are now unfair but I can't let it be the same game forever :(
- More input validation in the shop... it never ends
- Weirdly, more input validation in the shop, I thought I caught it all, but nope. thanks for catching that, TechGamer
- Added the "fishedex"!! It's amazing! It's literally just a pokedex. Go to the shop to see it. If you do manage to catch em all then tell me if my code works and you get a congratulations. Hope you all like the fishedex, thanks to Hamloid for the idea!
- Accounts and highscores saving error fixed!
- You don't get as much info about a fish each time you catch one now, only the first time you do. I think it looks a lot nicer.
- The code now has the grammar knowledge of a 6 year old and can appropriately use "a" or "an" now.
- If you put in "log in" but you should've put in "sign up", you no longer need to refresh, the code will sort it out for you.
- Fixed password security thanks to ebest!
- Added treasures and treasuredex!
- Fish are now coloured based on rarity, inspired by Runescape!
- Different biomes with different fish, different treasures, harder xp gradients, and dangers [dangers are so cool]! Level resets to 1 in these biomes. You can travel between biomes by ships (your old levels stay the same, don't worry). Biomes are only unlocked past level 100. I only have the ice biome now, but more are coming (unlocked at ice level 100, ect.)
- Biome specific rods! [only 1 per biome, but they're both great at getting rare fish, and allow mythicals (at the moment mythicals can only be caught in normal, but I'm going to add ice and desert mythicals)
- Desert biome added!! I know, the names suck. I'm working on it.
- Bait price increases as you level up. It's also more expensive as you go through the biomes.
- Dangers added for normal.
- "One use" items! These are pretty cool and last for 1-2 weeks, increasing your chance at either: catching a fish, catching a treasure or catching rarer fish, or keeping you safer. There's 2 "levels" of item for each, with the better being rarer. They can't be bought in the shop and are instead found when fishing.
- Added weathers, which are specific to biomes. Most fish can only be caught in certain type(s) of weather.
- Added settings page with options to reset account, see highscores, see total number of accounts signed up, see game info and see game help. Going to settings doesn't use up your day, unlike the shop.
- Improved fish rarity colours suggested by Mavrick and each line in the fishedex is coloured according the what biome the fish is found in.
- Fire biome, which is the last one! Highscores page for when you complete it.
- Mythicals for different biomes.
- Biomes are no longer called biomes and are now named after locations in game of thrones.
- Massive bug exodus just before deadlines oops
- Inputs except user and password are now not case sensitive
- Slight edits to reaching level 100 & ship functions
- cats_ur_cool77's awesome fishing game tribute can be found in settings!
- Credits when you reach endgame!
- 28/06/2020 - Fixed huge jsonstore bug
- Now saves are done manually in settings NOT automatically at the end of each in game day. This is to prevent too many requests being sent to the accounts data, which caused the data to be blocked
- API key now hidden
**Don't forget to upvote if you enjoyed the game! **
I recommend playing in a new tab
EDIT: Right guys I'm sorry about this but the website that stores the accounts info keeps getting overloaded with requests. That's why the game's glitching. It's a certain number each day, so you'll probably be able to play the game in the morning. Don't worry, you'll only lose the data since your last save [which now needs to be done manually so as to minimise the requests]. I'm considering paying for more requests to be allowed. Sorry everyone.
EDIT 2: I'm really sorry that it's still not working. It seems that my account on the database is blocked. I can't really permanently fix this without paying the owner of the database some money to compensate for all my requests, so I'm gonna leave my PayPal here. If you guys want to donate some money you can but of course I'm not expecting anything. I'm just really sorry that it's not working.
Whenever I try to sign up it freezes! I was kinda disappointed since this looked like a really fun game...
forked it and removed all ability to save so it now works, you just need to do it all in one sitting
note: i havnt fully tested it and i may have removed something vital
instead of using "input()" you could use the module getch and then replace "input()" with "getch.getch()"
edit: this would make it so you would have to do "a" then enter and just have to do "a"
another edit: great game though
can you please either fix your current save system, use replit db or just supply a saving free version like this https://repl.it/@Nettakrim/no-sign-up-fishing-game
would you like to log in or sign up?
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 1390, in
player = log_in()
File "main.py", line 172, in log_in
player = create_account()
File "main.py", line 130, in create_account
accounts = saved["accounts"]
it takes forever for the error to pop up