what happened to repl.it???
Its replit.com now. :(
(Also, this is kinda off topic so mods, feel free to take this down if u want).
I am just curious, why remove the .it from the url, it makes it longer and now, the embedder version of repls no longer work for me (At least on school computer, where I usually code. I have not tried home computer).
but yea, my main question is, what is your reaction to this? happy? sad? If anyone knows why, i would appreciate it if you tell me.
Thanks to all answers :)
Hi this was by mistake. We will be moving to .com in the next few weeks for a few reasons. One of them is that .it domain is really hard to deal with and renew. They only allow us to renew once a year which is risky for various reasons.
Another big reason is that the brand is little fragmented now and some people refer to us as
repl and others as
replit. This is a bit of a problem when people talk about the site and refer it to others as they might not be able to find it. Moving to
replit solves this problem.
When we actually do end up moving things will work transparently and you'll be able to do see the embeds no problem.
I love .it too but given the trade-offs we think it's best to move to .com. repl.it will still redirect and you can type that in instead to save on characters ;)
@amasad , please can you notify everyone once you turn it back?
All my sites that had a domain linked to them broke. I was able to fix them after because I figured out that the IP addresses were different.
Please try to avoid changing the domain too often after you change it back. A lot of sites could get taken down.
Sorry for spamming you with pings, deleted everything else. If you guys need replit.com as it is better than repl.it, fine by me. Also I do call replit repl all the time so I am one of those dudes who say it wrong, sry!! By ta way i wanted to point out a few things you should fix:
1. First I have been using blog.repl.it for a long time and I realized the new updates to the blog are only coming to blog.replit.com so you should redirect
2. staging.replit.com redirects to staging.repl.it so you should fix that too.
3. The email notifications still say repl.it so you should change it to replit.com, or cause that doesn't seem nice, replit without the .com
4. The Help and Resources page still says Repl.it at the bottom next to Legal and Handy Links. You should change that to Replit or Replit.com
5. The bugs and feedback pages say, in their messages, 'repl.it is an online environment for interactively exploring programming languages' and 'Post bugs and issues with the Repl.it platform' respectively, which are wrong and the 'Repl.it's should be replaced twith 'Replit's or 'Replit.com's.
6. The last and most depressing one for you guys. But also the most un-needed one, the blog and docs say repl.it everywhere and do not say replit or replit.com...if you guys are going to fix this and need help, me, and others I am pretty sure, would be happy to help 😊😊😊!!!
P.S. i am signed in to replit already so I don't know if on the signup page's bottom it says Repl.it between Legal and the other thing again or if its says replit
EDIT: Another one I found which I haven't mentioned majorly is that on the docs it says 'Edit on Repl.it' instead of saying 'Edit on Replit' or 'Edit on Replit.com'
My suspicion is that the iframes will no longer work on "replit.com" because the access control is set for "repl.it" only. "repl.it" still works for me, so I'd suggest using that until we get formal notice of movement. Seems to be pretty recent, I saw it first in a blog post's teaser (see "one more thing" at the bottom).