Ask coding questions

← Back to all posts
How to run simple HTML5 project imported from github
JanKoupil (1)

When I import my HTML5 project from github, a run button configuration is requested. I simply want to serve the files - the same way as a native HTML5 project does, however, cannot find the way to do so.

There is an index.html file inside that should be the entry point...

The repo is here: https://repl.it/@JanKoupil/IP22020mazesolver#index.html

Comments
hotnewtop
DollarSign (24)

Set the Run Language to HTML, CSS, JS and leave the Run code to "" (Nothing)

JanKoupil (1)

@DollarSign Thank you, but could you please help me how? If i Choose the recommended Run language, my .replit file contains

language = "html"
run = ""

And the console shows

'run' isn't configured in the .replit file
try adding 'run = "echo hello word"' to .replit

Manually changing the code to

language = "HTML, CSS, JS"
run = ""

does not produce any change. In "MyRepls" list is the project still reported as "bash project" and this is somehow automatically chosen immediately with the "New repl > Import from GitHub"

Any help appreciated - thank you very much.

DollarSign (24)

Try forking or importing again, but don't change anything @JanKoupil

JanKoupil (1)

Thank you, you are very kind to help. However, no success here - the git is https://github.com/jan-koupil/IP2_2020_maze_solver . I make a new repl using this git repository, do not change anything, I see the splash screen "updating to HTML…" and end up with a bash repl. This seems to be some kind of a bug.

https://prnt.sc/t1dhfd

@DollarSign

JanKoupil (1)

I will try, though my repeated experience is that bug reports there are not even being commented, not speaking of fixing them. @DollarSign

JanKoupil (1)

Thank you for help. But please tell me - is there anything specific, you might have done? Is there anything specific, I might have missed? Because I, when cloning the git repo, still end up with a bash project that cannot be run - even though my .replit file is identic to yours. (I have tried creating it again quite a few times since starting this thread and after as well, with same results). I'm more interested in the process that one specific repl, as a programming teacher I'd like to use the technology in many cases, for example a branch with base code, partial solution, final solution, code from lesson... I can, of course, set simply up the files, and have done so many times previously. @ChezCoder

JanKoupil (1)

So, after a discussion with support, we found out that the behavior is really strange, however creating the .replit file in advance and putting it into the git repository solves for now.

The .replit file should have these contents:

language = "html"
run = ""